Wednesday, March 18, 2009

El Día Tres

Consistency. That's what I have to report. I've only been on the Paleolithic Diet for about 60 hours, but so far I have never been all that hungry, and never all that full. This is despite very much concentrating my eating to 3 intense bursts a day... supplemented by the occasional piece of fruit, dried flesh, or nut. So far so good.

I've also managed a fairly intense amount of exercise in that time. I was expecting to have to pull back a little with that, because a lot of sources predict increased lethargy at the start of this diet. However, I have made sure (I am very fortunate to have this luxury) to get loads of sleep each night, and take naps if I feel like it. I slept 10 hours last night! However, this was interrupted by no fewer than 3 trips to the toilet to pee! This was a big surprise and must have something to do with the diet, because I rarely, if ever, would even get up once in the night to pee. Maybe the diet coincides with me making a quantum leap into old age...

This morning, when I eventually did get up, I had an orange, a cup of tea, and a 3-egg scramble with onion, mushroom and tomatoes. I feel as full as a boot!

My apartment still smells of Chilean Sea Bass. That is one delicious fish!

---update 4:17pm---

I've had a tummy ache all day... ever since I drank a tiny bit of red wine last night... just a tiny bit!

Late lunch, after yoga:

Pork loin over brussel sprouts, leeks and carrots...


---update 10:12pm---

Damn tummy ache all day. I don't suppose my dinner of coleslaw (I made the mayo myself with flaxseed oil!) with cold pork loin is going to help. This Paleolithic diet is a cinch. I ran 10 miles today easy like.

This blog is hella boring. I need to think of some way to spice it up.

Did you know that in the lab they feed peanuts to rabbits to give them atherosclerosis (inflammation of the arteries) so they can test drugs on them? No, I thought you might not. But that's what it says in this here book:

"David Kritchevsky, PhD... ...showed that peanut oil lectin (PNA) was most likely responsible for the artery-clogging properties. Lectins are fairly large protein molecules, and most nutritional scientists had assumed that digestive enzymes in the gut would degrade it to its component amino acids... ...But they were wrong. It turns out that lectins are highly resistant to the gut's protein-shearing enzymes... ...PNA gets into the bloodstream intact in as little as 1 hour after participants ate a handful of roasted, salted peanuts... ...Lectins are a lot like superglue - it doesn't take much."

I figure there has to be some reason heart disease is the nation's #1 killer... maybe it's peanuts!

Needless to say, peanuts are OUT in the P-LD.

No comments:

Post a Comment