Sunday, March 15, 2009

WTF Are You Up To Now?!

In my never-ending search for extreme courses of action, for my entertainment and experimentation, starting tomorrow, March 16th, 2009, I am going to switch my diet - as closely as possible - to that of Paleolithic humans. Because I do a moderate amount of exercise, I will be using, among other resources, 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes' - by Cordain and Friel.

My initial plan is to try this for 1 month, come hell or high water. I will be documenting what I eat and how I feel on this blog. According to this here book, I can have up to 5% of my calories come from non-PL sources, so there is a little breathing room. However, I will try to stick to it as much as I can.

From what I have read it is very tough at first, but gets a lot easier after a couple of weeks. I am very interested to experience this!

Here is a brief summary of the Paleolithic Diet (borrowed from Dr Ben Balzer's page):

Eat the following:
· Meat, chicken and fish
· Eggs
· Fruit
· Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but NO potatoes nor sweet potatoes)
· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almonds. No peanuts (a bean) nor cashews (a family of their own)
· Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.

Eat NONE of the following:
· Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles, rice
· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas
· Potatoes
· Dairy products
· Sugar
· Salt

Try to increase your intake of:
· Root vegetables- carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes
· Organ meats- liver and kidneys

Sounds tough? You betcha!

So, it's Sunday night and I'm back from the store... I've put all my no-go items away in a back cupboard and bought a few more things... I tell ya, it's easy to shop for! You're basically limited to the meat counter and the produce department!

Paleolithic Food

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the diet...sounds interesting! No spuds no way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James-

    I feel mislead. We DEFINITELY had sweet potatoes the other night. Was that just a trial run? Was i just a guinea pig on your twisted experiment?

    Can i come over this week and make cheeseburgers san cheese and bun?

    ReplyDelete